The UAE has so many luxury hotels on offer, it’ll make anyone’s head spin! Every property looks just as gorgeous and offers some first-class amenities. Because we planned on staying in Abu Dhabi during the celebrations for the National Day and go on some excursions, we chose to avoid the busier hotels along the Corniche and pick an accommodation in a somewhat quieter area. We came across the Fairmont Bab Al Bahr, where we stayed with the kids from 29th November to 5th December 2014. The property looked highly impressive and glamorous. This hotel offered the perfect setting for our 6 night fairytale, making this getaway to Abu Dhabi with the kids a hit!
Fairmont Bab Al Bahr trivia
Price in December 2014: around €300 per night breakfast included
Nearest airport: Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH) at 16 km (or 10 mi)
Type: beach hotel
Number of rooms: 369
Trumps for a stay with the kids
- Type Fairmont Creek View – 2 queen beds.
- Extra bed available for AED250 / night (about €60).
- Cribs available for free: these cots were fairly larger than the classic travel beds making it very comfortable for Jade, who was 2,5 at the time.
- Cleanliness: very good and extremely kind, we found a personal and handwritten note every day from the housekeeper (we only saw gentlemen in the cleaning crew) aside from a towell-made animal.
- The view from the room was picture perfect: Abu Dhabi’s eye-catcher would greet us with every glance through the window.
Food & beverage
- Various restaurants are available. However, the 50% kid’s discount to the standard rate of 185 AED / diner (about €45) would only apply to the buffet restaurant CuiScene.
- We pass for an Italian restaurant in the U.A.E. because we prefer to familiarize the kids with the local cuisine. The on-site restaurant Cedar Lounge was a delish alternative.
- An olympic pool surrounded by some shallow pools and a jacuzzi.
- The covered children’s pool. Unfortunately, during our stay it was just too chilly to be in the shades but the kids could have all the fun in the shallow, buoyed parts of the main pool.
- A playhouse with attributes. And the girls had it all to themselves!
- The clean beach with soft sand and calm waters, which is perfect for little kids.
- The trampoline. Because of the low occupation during our stay, the trampoline was placed wherever we requested by means of a good example of teamwork. Oh, and as a bonus we scored free babysitting services!
- Free ice popsicles for the kids with our beachside order.
- Smoothies with all possible fruits we could think of.
- Prior to our arrival we had booked some water confidence classes for Alegra. She was 5 at the time and quite apprehensive in the water. It cost us 175 AED / 45 minute session (about €40).
- The lobby was just magnificent, especially for two little girls who love their bling! Shine, sparkle, glitter and glam galore!
Extra’s at the Fairmont Bab Al Bahr’s concierge desk (always CosmopoliClan’s best friend)
- Upon booking a guided excursion we asked for carseats to be put in the guide’s car. To our delight, these had been fetched and installed as we arrived. So, the hotel even guarantees your kids’ safety on the road.
- The watertaxi leaving from the Bu Tinah Pier at the hotel beach. It connects this and 2 other hotels with the Souk Qaryat Al Beri, a pretty modern souk with nice restaurants. A beautiful, wooden boat takes you there for 20 AED / person (about €5) back and forth.
The Fairmont Bab Al Bahr checked all our boxes! Its first class service, neat facilities and luxurious surroundings allow every family to enjoy a relaxing vacation with plenty of excursion options in or near Abu Dhabi. The girls were spoiled as if they were princesses. And they were not the only ones because we indulged in the same impeccable service!
We enthusiastically recommend this hotel as a sunny hideaway to travel to with the kids in autumn or winter!