As you know, we have quite a track record in family travel. I originally planned on writing an entire article on what traveling means to us. But then I thought of a better way to share our passion for travel, one that would spark your wanderlust too. Instead of just another generic list of family travel quotes we wanted to share a personal list of quotes about travel with family, one that truly expresses our deep-rooted love for exploring the world. Hence, this selection of top family travel quotes sprinkled with some fun vacation quotes.
Do you value the power of quotes as much as we do? Then here are some other quotes that you may appreciate:
- Waterfall quotes that reflect the power of nature and inspire to book a next adventure.
- Positive thinking and silver lining quotes that helped us cope in COVID-times
Ghent (Belgium) is our homebase but our family trips are spent taking a desert safari in Dubai, chasing waterfalls on Hawaii island, exploring the Benagil cave in Portugal by kayak, boogie-boarding at Ka’anapali beach on Maui, admiring the tulip fields in The Netherlands at Keukenhof Gardens and beyond, taking a French Riviera road trip, soaking up the culture in Malta, celebrating carnival in Panama, visiting the gold souk in Dubai, taking a family vacation in Hawaiian islands or exploring Paris at night. We love sharing our favorite travel tips with you on the blog. So, why not share some quotes about family vacations too?
It still amazes me how a few words can carry such great power. Whether you’re looking to be inspired, reassured, soothed or empowered, there’s always a quote that fits the bill. I find family travel and family adventure quotes (and quotes in general, really) to be very inspiring.
Here’s a curated list of quotes about traveling with family, from family getaway quotes to family road trip quotes and everything in between, to spark your wanderlust.
15x Our favorite family travel quotes
The following travel with family quotes can be considered our mantra. They really express why we travel with our kids, why we want to give them the gift of travel. We don’t exactly need an extra incentive to travel as a family. From city breaks to road trips and from beach vacations to jungle explorations and even desert safaris, we appreciate travel in all its facets. It’s great to see that the kids are enjoying our adventures just as much as we are. These shared family travel experiences really take our mutual bond to a whole new level. A family that travels together stays together, right? The following family travel quotes don’t lie.
- “Traveling in the company of those we love is home in motion.” – Leigh Hunt
- “We travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us.” – Unknown
- “Having kids is a reason to travel, never a reason to stop.” – Unknown
- “Deciding not to travel with kids because they won’t remember, is like not reading them books because they won’t remember the stories you read them.” – Unknown
- “There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other wings.” This one is also commonly found in its shorter version: “Two of the greatest gifts we can give our children and roots and wings.“– Hodding Carter
- “Of all the books in the world, the best stories are found between the pages of a passport.” – Saber Ben Hassen
- “People don’t take trips, trips take people.” – John Steinbeck
- “May your adventures bring you closer together, even as they take you far away from home.” – Trenton Lee Stewart
- “Travel empties out everything you’ve into the box called your life, all the things you accumulate to tell you who you are.” – Claire Fontaine
- “To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.” – Bill Bryson
- “Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling.” – Margaret Lee Runbeck
- “If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go further, go together.“– African proverb
- “As with any journey, who you travel with is more important than the destination.” – Unknown
- “It doesn’t matter where you’re going, it’s who you have beside you.” – Unknown
- “Memories made together last a lifetime.” – Unknown
15x Quotes about travel as a form of education
We strongly believe in the educational value of travel. In addition to the historic and geographical aspects that are inherent to travel, our children have learned to be curious and open towards new cultures and to deal with unforeseen circumstances. It also puts some of their minor worries in perspective as they grow up. To us, the following travel with kids quotes really capture that importance.
- “Travel is still the most intense mode of learning.” – Kevin Kelly
- “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” – Mohammed
- “Never did the world make a queen of a girl who hides in houses and dreams without travelling.” – Roman Payne
- “Not all classrooms have four walls” – Unknown
- “Travel is like an endless university. You never stop learning.” – Harvey Lloyd
- “Travel in the younger sort is a part of education; in the elder, a part of experience.” – Francis Bacon
- “When you travel with children you are giving something that can never be taken away: Experience, exposure and a way of life.” – Pamela Chandler
- “Then I Realized Adventures Are The Best Way To Learn.” – Unknown
- “Travel is not a reward for working, it’s education for living.” – Anthony Bourdain
- “The best education you will ever get is traveling. Nothing teaches you more than exploring the world and accumulating experiences.” – Mark Paterson
- “Wanderlust isn’t about running away from it all. It’s about experiencing the outside to discover the inside.” – Unknown
- “One of the great things about travel is that you find out how many good, kind people there are.” – Edith Wharton
- “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness.” – Mark Twain
- “Travel sparks our imagination, feeds our curiosity, and reminds us how much we. all have in common.” – Deborah Lloyd
- “Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all.” – Aristotle
10x Best travel family quotes about memories made
Not only have our kids learned a lot from our trips, they always have plenty of stories to tell. It’s so fulfilling to hear them bring up memories about our previous trips, both the good and the bad, to see them prepare another speaking assignment for school about one of the geographical wonders or cultural events we witnessed during our trips or to hear them talk about how amazing it felt to push their boundaries. That’s exactly why we love traveling with kids. The following quotes about traveling with family capture it beautifully.
- “Own only what you can always carry with you: know languages, know countries, know people. Let your memory be your travel bag.” – Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
- “I am convinced that the greatest legacy we can leave our children are happy memories: those precious moments so much like pebbles on the beach that are plucked from the white sand and placed in tiny boxes that lay undisturbed on tall shelves until one day they spill out and time repeats itself, with joy and sweet sadness, in the child now an adult.” – Og Mandino
- “Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.” – Dr. Seus
- “Every day of our lives we make deposits in the memory banks of our children.” – Charles R. Swindoll
- “Don’t count the days, make the days count.” – Muhammad Ali
- “In the end, kids won’t remember that fancy toy you bought them, they will remember the time you spent with them.” – Kevin Heath
- “The mud will wash off but the memories will last a lifetime.” – Unknown
- “Take only memories, leave only footprints.” – Chief Seattle
- “Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city.” – George Burns
- “The best things in life are the people we love, the places we’ve been, and the memories we’ve made along the way.” – Unknown
20x Inspirational family travel quotes
We consider our family adventures to be the greatest gift we can give our children. By traveling as a family and by sharing these family adventure quotes with our kids, we hope that they’ll experience the fulfilling effect of discovering the wonders of the world. During our family travels, we increasingly try to increase the level of daring adventure. A family vacation is the perfect time to test our limits and get out of our comfort zone. These inspirational family adventure quotes help us do so.
- “Actually, the best gift you could have given her was a lifetime of adventures.” – Lewis Carroll
- “If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine, it is lethal.” – Paul Coelho
- “To move, to breathe, to fly, to float, To gain all while you give, To roam the roads of lands remote, To travel is to live.” – Hans Christian Andersen
- “And at the end of the day, your feet should be dirty, your hair messy and your eyes sparkling.” – Shanti
- “The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.” – Seneca
- “So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
- “You’re off to great places, Today is your day, Your mountain is waiting so… Get on your way.” – Dr. Seuss
- “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – André Gide
- “Without new experiences, something inside of us sleeps. The sleeper must awaken.” – Frank Herbert
- “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” – Helen Keller
- “Jobs fill your pocket, but adventures fill your soul.” – Jamie Lyn Beatty
- “Blessed are the curious as they shall have adventures.” – Lovelle Drachman
- “Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddam mountain.” – Jack Kerouac
- “Fill your life with experiences, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show.“
- “Live for the moments you can’t put into words.” – Unknown
- “Oh the places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
- “Don’t listen to what they say. Go see.” – Chinese Proverb
- “If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try.” – Unknown
- “Of all the paths in life you take, make sure a few of them are dirt.” – John Muir
5x Funny family trip quotes
So far, we’ve been quoting the educational value of travel, the travel memories it brings and how it can push us to get out of our comfort zone. Time for a little light reading with a few funny travel-itch quotes.
- “Once the travel bug bites there is no antidote. And I know that I will be happily infected until the end of my life.” – Michael Palin
- “Can we just skip to the part of my life where I travel the world?” – Unknown
- “A road trip is a way for the whole family to spend time together and annoy each other in interesting new places.” – Tom Lichtenheld
- “I don’t know the question, but travel is definitely the answer.” – Unknown
- “In America, there are two classes of travel: first-class and with children.” — Robert Benchley
19x Other valuable traveling with family quotes
Don’t you love how travel makes you feel? Carefree, open-minded, ready to try something new are some things that come to mind. It can be so powerful and magical. Sometimes I really feel like a kid all over again when I travel. That’s a side of me that really only appears when I’m away from home. It means so much to me that our kids have gotten to know this side of me too. Here are some more family travel quotes that capture that magical effect of travel.
- “Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you’d drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It’s more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories.” – Ray Bradbury
- “Above all, watch with glittering eyes the world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places.” – Roald Dahl
- “But that’s the glory of foreign travel, as far as I am concerned. I don’t want to know what people are talking about. I can’t think of anything that excited a greater sense of childlike wonder than to be in a country where you are ignorant of almost everything. Suddenly you are five years old again. You can’t read anything, you have only a rudimentary sense of how things work, you can’t even reliably cross the street without endangering your life. Your whole existence becomes a series of interesting guesses.” — Bill Bryson
- “There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million.” – Walt Streightiff
- “So much of who we are is where we have been.” – William Langewiesche
- “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” – Gustave Flaubert
- “I always wonder why birds stay in one place when they can fly anywhere in the world. Then I ask myself the same question.” – Harun Yahya
- “Our happiest moments as tourists always seem to come when we stumble upon one thing while in pursuit of something else.” — Lawrence Block
- “A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes
- “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller
- “I would rather own little and see the world, than own the world and see little of it.” – Alexander Sattler
- “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.” – Marcel Proust
- “We leave something of ourselves behind when we leave a place, we stay there, even though we go away. And there are things in us that we can find again only by going back there.” – Pascal Mercier
- “Travelling, it leaves you speechless then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Batutta
- “We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.” – T.S. Eliot
- “I soon realized that no journey carries one far unless, as it extends into the world around us, it goes an equal distance into the world within.” – Lillian Smith
- “Nothing can be compared to the new life that the discovery of another country provides for a thoughtful person. Although I am still the same I believe to have changed to the bones.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- “It’s good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end.” – Ernest Hemingway
- “In matters of healing the body or the mind, vacation is a true genius.” – Mehmet Murat ildan
10x Quotes about vacation and life in general
The following inspirational quotes are not necessarily family vacation quotes since they can be interpreted in a number of ways. But we apply these words to our travel mindset and, in that capacity, they become powerful family trip quotes. So, any time you need to find balance, need to find yourself again or seek motivation to regularly escape the daily grind, then consider these inspirational travel quotes.
- “Some beautiful paths can’t be discovered without getting lost.” – Erol Ozan
- “Once in a while it really hits people that they don’t have to experience the world in the way they’ve been told to.” – Alan Kneightly
- “Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Can you remember who you were before the world told you who you should be.” – Danielle Laporte
- “Never get so busy making a living that you forget making a life.” – Dolly Parton
- “Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for – in order to get the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.” – Ellen Goodman
- “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.” – Neale Donald Walsch
- “There is no time to be bored in a world as beautiful as this.” – Unknown
- “There are no perfect parents and there are no perfect children, but there are plenty of perfect moments along the way.” – Dave Willis
- “Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it.” – Charles Swindoll
5x Short travel quotes that will – eventually – make me fulfill my dream of relocating
Let me let you in on a little secret: I dream of relocating to some place tropical, enjoying a slower-paced life so that we can fully enjoy our precious family moments in a new setting. Just to learn how it feels to start over someplace new, to immerse ourselves in a new culture and to explore new grounds much more thoroughly than a vacation allows.
So, what’s keeping me? Let’s say we kind of live in a golden cage and this dreamer needs to get the rest of the family on board. But I’m working on that. Until we finally take the plunge, these short travel quotes make sure never to give up on that dream.
- “Every dreamer knows that it is entirely possible to be homesick for a place you’ve never been to, perhaps more homesick than for familiar ground.” – Judith Thurman
- “A change in latitude would help my attitude.” – Unknown
- “I want to go home… I just haven’t found it yet.” – Unknown
- “If we were meant to stay in one place, we’d have roots instead of feet.” – Rachel Wolchin
- “And suddenly you know… It’s time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings.” – Maister Eckhart von Hochheim
That’s a wrap for this list of family travel quotes. So, are you feeling that travel itch yet? I know I am but, hey, what else is new?
I have to admit that, while I’m writing down these family travel quotes, all these happy memories come to mind. Not only that, it also makes me daydream about the family adventures ahead.
Do these quotes about family vacations have that affect on you too? If so, let’s spread our wanderlust as a team! Just go ahead and share one of the best family travel quotes in this post on Pinterest to let these quotes about family travel convince other parents to explore the world too.
Of course, a list of family travel quotes such as this one is never complete. So, I do plan on updating it on a regular basis. I’d love for you to give me your input as well!
Can you think of family vacation quotes that just need to be featured here? Or do you have a family adventure quote that evokes a precious memory? Let me know in the comments below and I’ll gladly give your favorite family travel quote a place on our list.