Here’s our selection of the best waterfall quotes: inspirational, deep, peaceful, romantic, powerful and fun. We’ve paired our favorite waterfall quotes with dreamy photos of beautiful waterfalls from around the world. And, as a bonus, we’ve added some short waterfall captions for Instagram as well.
Do you value the power of quotes as much as we do? Then here are some other quotes that you may appreciate:
- Family travel quotes to spark your wanderlust
- Positive thinking and silver lining quotes that helped us cope in COVID-times
Now, without further ado, let’s discover some of the best and most inspirational quotes about waterfalls.
Our favorite waterfall quotes
To us, life is about chasing waterfalls. About dreaming big and then working towards making that dream come true. About challenging ourselves in order to experience more as a family. When we spend time with our kids, we want to make every second count. Family travel is our way of unplugging. It’s when we marvel at nature’s wonders and absorb her beauty and power. No better way to recharge the batteries.
Waterfalls symbolize exactly that. Reaching them might be challenging from time to time. But when you get to the waterfall, see the overwhelming beauty and hear the roaring power then you can only stop and be amazed. We sure were upon visiting some of the best waterfalls on Hawaii Island, discovering some of the most scenic waterfall hikes of Oahu and exploring both Plitvice Lakes National Park and Krka National Park in Croatia. A waterfall’s magnetic beauty is humbling yet empowering.
- “A very wise quote is a spectacular waterfall! When you see it, you feel its power!” – Mehmet Murat İldan
- “There is a waterfall in every dream. Cool and crystal clear, it falls gently on the sleeper, cleansing the mind and soothing the soul.” – Virginia Alison
- “As long as I live, I’ll hear waterfalls and birds and winds sing. I’ll interpret the rocks, learn the language of flood, storm, and the avalanche. I’ll acquaint myself with the glaciers and wild gardens, and get as near the heart of the world as I can.” – John Muir
- “My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.” – Mel Brooks
- “Emerald slopes became so tall they touched the clouds, and showers painted diamond waterfalls that sluiced down cliff sides.” – Victoria Kahler
- “When you’re young, there’s so much that you can’t take in. It’s pouring over you like a waterfall. When you’re older, it’s less intense, but you’re able to reach out and drink it. I love being older.” – Sigourney Weaver
- “The sound of water is worth more than all the poets’ words.” – Octavio Paz
- “The power of a waterfall is nothing but a lot of drips working together.” – Unknown
- “Once we have tasted far streams, touched the gold, found some limit beyond the waterfall, a season changes and we come back changed but safe, quiet, grateful.” – William Stafford
- “Waterfalls are exciting because they have power, they have rainbows, they have songs, and they have boldness and craziness!” – Mehmet Murat İldan
Inspirational quotes about waterfalls
One of the reasons why we love quotes, is that just a few words can carry such great power. Quotes work inspiring on their own but even more when combined with the symbolism of a mesmerizing natural element. Here’s a selection of some of the most inspiring waterfall quotes.
- “You don’t have the power to make rainbows or waterfalls, sunsets or roses, but you do have the power to bless people by your words and smiles you carry within you the power to make the world better.” – Sharon G. Larsen
- “A waterfall cannot be silent, just as the wisdom! When they speak, the voice of power speaks!” – Mehmet Murat İldan
- “Look with open eyes and you will see the beauty of waterfall.” – Anthony T. Hincks
- “Lessons from a waterfall – Keep moving, and you will eventually get over it.” – Unknown
- “Water is sufficient…the spirit moves over water.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
- “The most stupendous scenery ceases to be sublime when it becomes distinct, or in other words limited, and the imagination is no longer encouraged to exaggerate it. The actual height and breadth of a mountain or a waterfall are always ridiculously small; they are the imagined only that content us.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “Nature loves courage. You make the commitment and nature will respond to that commitment by removing impossible obstacles. Dream the impossible dream and the world will not grind you under, it will lift you up. This is the trick. This is what all these teachers and philosophers who really counted, who really touched the alchemical gold, this is what they understood. This is the shamanic dance in the waterfall. This is how magic is done. By hurling yourself into the abyss and discovering it’s a feather bed.” – Terence McKenna
- “When I was walking in the mountains with the Japanese man and began to hear the water, he said, “What is the sound of the waterfall?” “Silence” he finally told me. The stillness I did not notice until the sound of water falling made apparent the silence I had been hearing long before.” – Jack Gilbert
- “There is a hidden message in every waterfall. It says, if you are flexible, falling will not hurt you!” – Mehmet Murat İldan
- “We say that life is sweet, its satisfactions deep. All this we say, as we sleepwalk our time through years of days and nights. We let time cascade over us like a waterfall, believing it to be never-ending. Yet each day that touches us, and every man in the world, is unique; irredeemable; over. And just another Monday.” – Josephine Hart
Peaceful waterfall quotes
There’s something hypnotizing about waterfalls. They’re powerful and peaceful at the same time. Here are some quotes about waterfalls and how their purity can evoke a state of serenity.
- “When the moonlight and the waterfall come together, all other things fade from the scene!” – Mehmet Murat İldan
- “Experiencing the present purely is being empty and hollow; you catch grace as a man fills his cup under a waterfall.” – Annie Dillard
- “All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was.” – Toni Morrison
- “A drop of water, if it could write out its own history, would explain the universe to us.” – Lucy Larcom
- “With meditation, I found a ledge above the waterfall of my thoughts.” – Mary Pipher
- “There’s no better place to find yourself that sitting by a waterfall and listening to its music.” – Roland R Kemler
- “It is life, I think, to watch the water. A man can learn so many things.” – Nicholas Spark
- “Owls hoot in B flat, cuckoos in D, but the water ousel sings in the voice of the stream. She builds her nest back of the waterfalls so the water is a lullaby to the little ones. Must be where they learn it.” – Karen Joy Fowler
- “The point is that when I see a sunset or a waterfall or something, for a split second it’s so great, because for a little bit I’m out of my brain, and it’s got nothing to do with me. … And I wonder if I can somehow find a way to maintain that mind stillness.” – Chris Evans
- “Another way to look at meditation is to view the process of thinking itself as a waterfall, a continual cascading of thought. In cultivating mindfulness we are going beyond or behind our thinking, much the way you might find a vantagepoint in a cave or depression in a rock behind a waterfall. We still see and hear the water, but we are out of the torrent.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
Powerful waterfall quotes
The power of waterfalls works electrifying. When standing in front of a tall waterfall, we can’t help but feel humble under the force of nature. Here are some waterfall sayings that capture the intensity that goes out from waterfalls.
- “I love the sounds and the power of pounding water, whether it is the waves or a waterfall.” – Mike May
- “Water is the driver of nature.” – Leonardo da Vinci
- “For an instant, silence, noisier than a waterfall.” – Salman Rushdie
- “I realized that water is not necessarily a mighty force on its own — it actually draws its strength from flowing consistently. The idea is that flowing water never goes stale, so just keep flowing.” – Bruce Lee
- “Water was calmness and tranquility, but it was the rage of a storm as well.” – F.C. Yee
Waterfall quotes about love
Waterfalls are peaceful and powerful but they’re also incredibly romantic. The purity of a waterfall brings out the purity in us all. The lush decor and intimate setting only add to its captivating charm. Chasing waterfalls results in sheer happiness, the kind of happiness you want to share with your loved one. Here are some quotes about waterfalls and love.
- “I love you like a river that understands that it must learn to flow differently over waterfalls and to rest in the shallows.” – Paulo Coelho
- “Your love is like a waterfall, running wild and free.” – Chris Tomlin
- “I think love is the greatest force in the universe. It’s shapeless like water. It only takes the shape of things it becomes.” – Guillermo del Toro
- “I shift an infinitesimal movement towards him. It is like the leap from a waterfall. I do not know, until then, what I am going to do.” – Madeline Miller
- “All anyone can hope for is just a tiny bit of love, like a drop in a cup if you can get it, or a waterfall, a flood, if you can get that too.” – Edwidge Danticat
Quotes about waterfalls and life
Waterfalls are are fierce and overpowering. In the blink of an eye, an idyllic stream driven by the current can suddenly transform in this powerful phenomenon. In a sense, you could consider them to be an expression of life. But waterfalls also bring life and abundance. Here are some waterfall quotes that express this celebration of life.
- “There’s hope at the bottom of the biggest waterfall.” – Patrick Ness
- “I feel like water that transforms from a flowing river to a tranquil lake to a powerful waterfall to a freshwater spring to a meandering creek to a salty sea to raindrops gentle on your face to hard, stinging hail to frost on a mountaintop, and back to a river again.” – María Virginia Farinango
- “A strong man and a waterfall always channel their own path.” – Unknown
- “Just let go and fall like a little waterfall.” – Bob Ross
- “Grace is finding a waterfall when you were only looking for a stream.” – Vanessa Hunt
- “Sometimes, it’s hard to tell how fast the current’s moving until you’re headed over a waterfall.” – Kimberly McCreight
- “They say that people who live next to waterfalls don’t hear the water.” – Jonathan Safran Foer
- “Waterfalls wouldn’t sound so melodious if there were no rocks in their way.” – Rishabh Gautam
- “Be soft in your practice. Think of the method as a fine silvery stream, not a raging waterfall.” – Sheng-yen
- “When you are outpouring your emotion, it is like me trying to climb up a waterfall. To get to you. But if you are calm and have faith in me, I can sail right over to you. On the still waters of your soul.” – Kate McGahan
- “Human nature is like water. It takes the shape of its container.” – Wallace Stevens
- “Iron rusts from disuse; water loses its purity from stagnation… even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.” – Leonardo da Vinci
- “Just as a waterfall grows slower and more lightly suspended as it plunges down, so the great man of action tends to act with greater calmness than his tempestuous desires prior to the deed would lead one to expect.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
- “Many a calm river begins as a turbulent waterfall, yet none hurtles and foams all the way to the sea.” – Mikhail Lermontov
- “While people are struggling unhappily in the cities against the cruel authorities, a waterfall happily and cheerfully flows in the nature; there is happiness only if there is freedom!” – Mehmet Murat İldan
- “Do not feel sad for your tears as rocks never regret the waterfalls.” – Munia Khan
- “A river cuts through a rock, not because of its power but because of its persistence.” – Jim Watkins
- “Water does not resist. Water flows. When you plunge your hand into it, all you feel is a caress. Water is not a solid wall, it will not stop you. But water always goes where it wants to go, and nothing in the end can stand against it. Water is patient. Dripping water wears away a stone. Remember that, my child. Remember you are half water. If you can’t go through an obstacle, go around it. Water does.” – Margaret Atwood
- “I need waves. I need waterfalls. I want rushing currents.” – Tahereh Mafi
- “You don’t always get the waterfall shortcut in Mario Kart. That’s life.” – Jack Barakat
Short waterfall captions for Instagram
Have you been chasing waterfalls during your latest trip? Maybe even one of the waterfalls on the UNESCO World Heritage list? Then you must have some amazing photos to share with your audience. Here are some waterfall puns, captions and funny waterfall quotes for Instagram to go with your photos.
- “When water falls, it flies.” – Anthony T. Hincks
- “Happiness is where the waterfalls are.” – Unknown
- “Surrender to the flow.” – Mike Gordon
- “I am like a waterfall, wild and free.” – Unknown
- “Run wild and free like a waterfall.” – Anamika Mishra
- “I can see my rainbow calling me through the misty breeze of my waterfall.” – Jimi Hendrix
- “Look with open eyes and you will see the beauty of waterfall.” – Anthony Hincksever.
- “Dreams are made of trails and waterfalls.” – Unknown
- “Tripping on skies, sipping on waterfalls.” – Unknown
- “The waterfall is nature’s laughter.” – Unknown
Next time you’re out chasing waterfalls, simply bring out this list of waterfall quotes and captions and see which one resonates with you most. Or share them with your audience on social media as you post photos of the waterfalls you visited on your trip.